Saturday, January 15, 2011

Nothing bad to say..

1 Peter 2: 11-12

11Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12Live such good lives among the pagans, that though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

Let me just break this down a bit....especially while God is speaking...

1. We (Christians) are "aliens" in this world. We don't belong. We are here for a short time- eternity is our home.

2. As "strangers" we are to act differently from this world...not blend in with it.

3. "Abstaining from sinful desires"--- those things that Paul refers to in Romans 7:15
"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."
The things we KNOW we struggle with....we are to abstain from even the desire to do it.

4. Verse 12 along with Titus 2 is how I try to live my life....It's pretty much saying that we are to live in a way that unbelievers or those watching us can't even find anything against us.

Titus 2:7-8 says
In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.


I believe that God's word is telling us that we should be living such lives that point others in the direction of glorifying God.
"Although they accuse you of doing wrong..." we should keep living and doing what is right.

We know the world is just watching and waiting for Christians to fall. And they love to see the fall happen. How many times have we laughed at the sin of those around us?
We gossip....we make excuses for them....we turn our backs against them....

The world does not need to see just another "Christian" whom they can look at and say "I'm no different then he is" or "If THAT's what being a Christian is about, I don't want it"

What if they had nothing bad to say about us???

I'm choosing and praying now that the Holy Spirit can help me and lead me in living out 1 Peter 11-12.

Lord, may I live as an alien of this earth....focused on eternity and realizing that every single thing I do while here will be accounted for. Help me to have a Kingdom mindset, looking to You and believing You will keep your promises. May I abstain from my sinful desires so You may be glorified.....


No comments: