Sunday, October 24, 2010

Forgive

I'm learning so much right now, and I'm so thankful for God always teaching new things.

Just wanted to give a quick post on one thing that I'm trying to grasp....

FORGIVENESS.

I have been hurt by some people throughout the past several years, and have held on to such bitterness towards them. Over the past 2-3 weeks, God has been gradually been softening my heart towards that bitterness, and telling me to forgive and let go.

This morning at church, the entire message was on the topic, so I'm guessing that it's time to let go. The pastor brought up 3 different tenses of forgiveness.

Forgive = the thought/ agreement to make the 1st step.

Forgiving = in the process of the matter.....

Forgiven = the done deal. completely let go, and forgiveness has been done.


I have never thought about the matter in that way. I think we all know forgiveness is a process. Just because I say I want to forgive, doesn't mean I have forgiven.

My hurt is not nearly as bad as I know others have been through in life. But while the world says "you have a right to be mad....don't forgive." God's word says "Forgive as you have been forgiven."


I'm working on it.....and with God's help, I will get there one day. Here are some verses that go along with the subject.

Romans 12:14- Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.

Romans 12:17-21
"Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary, "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." (prov 25:21-22) Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."


The challenge that was given this morning was to pray for that person that has hurt you everyday for 30 days. Pray for blessings upon them... (rom 12:14).

Who do you have to forgive?? Will you begin the process with me today?

No comments: