Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Worry wart?

Have you ever read a very familiar scripture, one that you've known pretty much your entire life, and had the Holy Spirit renew it in your heart as if it were the 1st time you'd ever heard/read it?

Don't you love that feeling??

Well, a few months ago something happened in our lives that caused some significant worry for me. I'm talking about, losing sleep, all I can think about, crying often kind of worry. So I read Philippians 4, with the purpose of just focusing on the verse that says
"Do not be anxious about anything..."

But instead I read verses 2-9....which is exactly what God had in mind, I'm sure.
I meant to write then about what was revealed to me, but never did.

Last week, a friend had put "Philippians 4" as her Facebook status. It's been on my heart since then to actually read the chapter, as I had obviously forgotten what it says. So I sit down this morning determined to spend some time with Jesus instead of wasting it as I normally do, and I turn to that chapter.

Here are verses 4-9 for you...

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-- think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or heard from me, or seen in me-- put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

So I've heard verse 6 many many times, as I'm sure you have as well. But I don't know that I ever remember having this entire passage come together as it has in my life over the past few months.

We are NOT to be anxious about ANYTHING- but instead present our requests (our desires) to the Lord.
Then Paul goes right on to write about our thoughts! Which is exactly where worry comes from!

If we only thought about the things that are true, noble, right, pure, etc. then I strongly believe our worries would not exist. We tend to worry about things that will probably never happen. I heard a quote one time (not sure where) that says this:

"90% of the things we worry about will never happen."

I have found that to be true SO many times in my life. Worries about finances, jobs, family members, safety, relationships, busy schedules, to-do lists......do they come from us thinking about what Paul instructs us to think about? I think not.
They come from the opposite!

We let our minds be held captive by the enemy, and oh how the worries begin. I have to remind myself of these verses often...meditating on what I'm instructed to do, which is to allow Christ to take captive my thoughts- chewing on scripture, not letting my mind run wild with worries.

The Christian life is hard, but it's supposed to be. If it were easy, everybody would do it!

=)

2 comments:

Melodie Norman Haas said...

This was a great post and goes along with the studies I am doing right now in my quiet time. Thank you for sharing! If you ever need encouragement you have it right here!

Danielle said...

Exactly what I needed yesterday. And I will need it today, tomorrow, and every day until we get settled in our next "home". Eric has certainly rubbed off on me, but I worry about the things he doesn't. Thank you so much for sharing this :) &hearts you, chica!